Early Assessment Program (EAP)
The Early Assessment Program (EAP) measures your English reading comprehension and writing skills towards the end of the 11th grade to let you know in advance if you are ready for college English. This assessment portion of the EAP is officially called the Early Assessment of Readiness for College English, but it is also commonly referred to as the EAP English Test. If you elect to take the EAP English Test you will receive a letter at the beginning of your senior year informing you whether or not you can enroll in for-credit freshman English classes when you attend the CSU.
About the EAP English Test
It's easy to participate in the EAP. Just be sure to do the following:
- Take the required 11th grade standardized English test, also known as the English-Language Arts Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) test.
- This test will be given to you toward the end of your junior year.
- Look for the 15 additional multiple choice questions from the CSU.
- This section of the test is optional but you need to answer the questions to participate in the EAP.
- This section is marked by the CSU logo.
- Be sure to "bubble in" the section that indicates that you want your EAP results released to the CSU.
- Complete the additional CSU essay.
- The essay is often scheduled at a later date by your school.
- The essay is based on a short non-fiction passage (under 100 words).
Notification of EAP English Test Results
- You can find your EAP Test Results Online beginning in August of your senior year.
- Additionally, your high school will send you a letter with a STAR Student Report that details your EAP status.
- Your status informs you whether you have met the EPT requirement and, if not, what you can do to meet it.
- If you are Exempt from the EPT and ready for college level English, your campus will automatically receive notification of your status. It is a good idea, however, to keep a copy of your STAR student report for your records.
Explanation of EAP English Test Results
Possible results on the EAP English Test are: